Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I Love Words. Don't You Love Words?

Shenanigans is a delightful word. It elicits such joy upon exiting my mouth. (I feel like I should make a dirty joke right now, but it gets more convoluted the more I think about it.) Also, convoluted is a good word. Not as delightful as shenanigans, but it has its merits. There are limitations to the delight of shenanigans though. Anyone under the age of 30 can use it to much laughter. The younger the user, the more amusing it is. Anyone who has been ravaged by time can also use it to much delight. I'd rather hear a crazy 90 year old cat lady say it than a well-coiffed/clad 55 year old. Being classy/sophisticated just detracts from the joy. Age and social standing are not the only factors affecting it, as levels of authority have a tremendous effect. For example, Bush is a crazy motherfucker and wants to blow up the world(I mean that figuratively, I have nothing against Barbara Bush). Clinton just wants to get blown. See the difference?

TERRIFYING!

DELIGHTFUL!

The use of the delight* that is shenanigans should not be used by all. But if you are one of the lucky few able to use it in such a way, have at it.


*Also, delight itself is delightful. So light. So airy. It just rolls off the tongue like a delightfully dirty joke.

No comments: