Monday, April 03, 2006

Smoke Free America

Note the cigarette burn right on the heart.

I've never really understood the point of banning smoking in public spaces. All it serves to do is marginalize a large portion of the population. And when it comes to bars, it's really just bad business. When it comes down to it, a bar is a private business, so the owners should be the ones who make the choice between smoke-free/smoker-friendly. I'm sure there are a good number of owners who would willingly designate their businesses to be smoke free; and I'm also sure that there are a good number who could not care less. Let the owners make the decision, not the government. As a smoker, I would probably end up in some smoke-free places given my circle of friends, and I wouldn't smoke in these places. However, I would also end up in places where it's perfectly fine to light up, and I would do so. Immediately. It's not really a bar without that familiar haze of smoke.

No comments: