Tuesday, June 06, 2006

On the Way Out

The quantity of my entries may take a downward turn as I have obtained a new job. Yes, the days of making sure the copier/printer is warm are over. That is, unless they lied to me at the new job, but we'll find out about that soon enough. Thursday will be my last day here in this particular circle of hell. I'm exaggerating of course, it's not so much a circle as a sector of a circle. There are plenty of nice people that I get along with. The problem is that one director who I keep bitching about and the actual work involved. I've never been at such a loss for mental stimulation (resulting in this blog). I really think that my mother's womb was more stimulating.

The new job is with an advertising/promotional company in Virginia. Basically, it's a managerial fast-track type position where they expect me to be a manager within 6-8 months. Since I feel as though I've essentially wasted my time while at my current job, I will be focused on three things during this time: working, eating, and sleeping. I refuse to take more than 6 months to reach manager. Since it's all merit based, that's entirely possible.

Perhaps you're asking yourself (especially if you know me): Why the need to speed through the program? Can't you just chillax at your new job? The answer is no. The first 2-3 months will be hell, but will be made worth it once I reach Assistant Manager followed by Manager. Is it really worth it? YES. When they first described the program, I too was apprehensive - and then they told me the salary for these positions. Those numbers alone are worth obscene amounts of work for a few months. Aside from numbers, I just had good timing for looking for a new job as it's sort of a limited time offer. Because the company is growing at a seemingly obscene rate, they need managers ready to go in various cities where they're opening new offices. How else can you reach that position/salary within a company that quickly?

So that's the new job situation. While it is an excellent escape from my little piece of hell, it's also an escape from my larger chunk of hell, also known as my parent's house. I'm looking at moving out around August. So we'll see what happens.

No comments: